Friday, January 2, 2009

Daily Disciplines Are Important

I convicted myself with my first post. I realized that I haven't been drawing much (if at all) lately. So I left the computer and spent time drawing. One of my favorite subjects is dancers. They illustrate the discipline point. They have the discipline to train every day, yet when they perform they seem effortless and full of grace. As they seem to have the freedom to fly, they must have the foundation of constant practice. I've included a scan of the rough sketch I just did to motivate myself to get back to the discipline of drawing more frequently. I should notice the trained eye returning as I draw more. Look for improvements in future sketches. You can click on the image to see it larger.



3 comments:

  1. You have a refreshing view of creativity. I have spent a lot of time with "creative" types that thought they were the only "gifted" ones.
    Many were gifted in their particular area. It is a shame so many do not see the creativity in others outside of the normal arts. Those who trully work hard at their craft, regardless of what it is, often become uniquely creative in what they are doing. I have a freind who grades lawns for a living and he has fashioned tools for his trade that are so amazing. He loves what he does and he works at it like a true professional and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend who grades lawns is every bit as creative as many visual artists I have seen. Perhaps more so.

    ReplyDelete